FreeGeek Chicago, NFP
3411 W Diversey Avenue, Basement
Chicago, IL 60647
Hours: Wed-Sun: 11 AM–5 PM, Mon-Tue: Closed
Phone: (773) 342-6205
Fax: (773) 698-6354
Volunteer Orientation: Fri + Sun 11:15am - 2:45pm
FreeGeek Chicago can be hard to find! Our address is at 3411 W. Diversey Ave, but our entrance is in the alley directly west of the building doors.
FreeGeek Chicago wants to encourage individuals to complete 25 hours of training and service in the Open-Build volunteer program and also wants to provide functional computers for those who want them.
Volunteers who complete 25 hours in Open-Build will receive $25.00 in FreeGeek Rewards to the FreeGeek Store. FreeGeek Rewards can be used to go towards refurbished computer (desktops starting at $45.00, laptops starting at $75.00) or towards any other refurbished item in the FreeGeek Store. Volunteers can also build out their own desktop systems from our refurbishing department.
Volunteer Rewards expire one (1) year from a volunteer's orientation date. Hours do not roll over.
(Please read about Open-Build for information on volunteer activities, new-volunteer orientation, and who can participate.)
Volunteer with FreeGeek
FreeGeek Chicago currently holds open volunteer hours, known as "OpenBuild", on Fridays and Sundays. The OpenBuild program provides an excellent opportunity to get tons of hands-on experience with a wide variety of computer hardware and to learn first-hand the challenges and satisfaction of building a working system. Anyone interested in volunteering with FreeGeek Chicago must complete our new volunteer orientation (see below). Volunteers typically spend their time:
- Disassembling computers and learning about their components
- Testing individual computer parts, cards, and peripherals
- Building computers from good componets
- Learning about and installing the GNU/Linux operating system
- Mentoring new volunteers
- Learning about the environmental impact of e-waste
- Having a really good time
New volunteers must complete the FreeGeek Chicago orientation before beginning as a volunteer. Orientation is currently held at 11:30AM on Fridays and Sundays during OpenBuild and usually lasts around 3 hours. New volunteers should arrive for orientation at least 15 minutes in advance to sign-in.
Who Can Participate?
Anyone who is 14 years of age or older can participate as a FreeGeek volunteer. All volunteers under the age of 18 MUST provide FreeGeek with their date of birth and have a parent/guardian signature on our liabilty waiver form.
In addition to volunteering on OpenBuild days, FreeGeek is always looking for those who:
- Want to teach a class in our classroom
- Can help pick up donations and volunteers with transportation needs
- Drivers with commericial truck experience for our recycling runs
Check out our calendar for volunteer opportunities or Contact us to learn more.
Open Linux Repair Days
First Saturday of each month is Open Linux Repair Day.
- NO WINDOWS PCs!
- Linux MINT 19.1 (Tessa) OS Only!
- COMPUTER REPAIRS ONLY! Absolutely NO televisions, disk changers, etc.
- There will be charges for any parts, accessories or components needed for repairs.
- NO GUARANTEES OF SERVICE: FreeGeek Chicago will do our very best to assist in any way we can with service and repairs to your system. However, there may be times when we can not fix your system for whatever reason. Please know, we will do our very best to help if we can.